jueves, 19 de agosto de 2010

VOS

So after the Men’s Health Conference in La Esperanza my next project was going to the VOS (Volunteers Offering Support) training. This was to be held in La Tigra, a wilderness reserve located just east of Tegus. With the Men’s health conference ending on Saturday morning and because I was supposed to have to return to Tegus on Monday for the VOS training I got permission to go straight to Tegus for a couple days before the meeting, thus saving myself 13+ hours in buses for what would have only been one day in site. Fortunately I know some people in Tegus and they let me stay there for a couple of nights, getting to explore the city a little and get some relaxation time. The VOS conference was interesting, I wasn’t completely sold on it at the beginning, it is essentially a network of Volunteers that are available to talk about whatever with other trainees and volunteers that are going through rough times, we offer an ear to listen and a promise not to share any information with other volunteers or staff. VOS people are nominated by their peers and the project managers so it is an honor to get nominated. I was a little incredulice to the effectiveness and necessity of this program but as the training went on I realized the usefulness of it and I learned some new techniques on listening and caring for others. This training session lasted till Thursday morning, after it finished I quickly hopped onto a bus back to San Marcos because my family was coming in early on Friday morning.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario