viernes, 27 de agosto de 2010

Puerto Cortes



Although I was already running out of clean clothes and I was really ready to head back to San Marcos I had a slight change of plans and got to keep having fun. The fam took off from San Pedro on Friday morning, their plane taking off at noonish, they took off to the airport at 10:15 and I headed to the bus terminal. Instead of heading west to San Marcos I had received a phone call earlier that week and got invited by my old host family in Yarumela to go with them up to Puerto Cortes, a town on the north coast that was going to be having their annual fair. I couldn’t say no to a chance to see my host family and get to see some new stuff. I met up with a group of family members, my cousins and aunts and uncles and we took the hour and a half bus up to the coast. It turned out that there were a ton of family members there, some that lived in Cortes, a ton from Yarumela, and also a group from Tegus, all in all there were probably about 35…crazyness, but soo much fun. The first night was a mini version of the fair, it started out with a couple music groups in the park, that was followed up by the real start of the feria which was at the Municipal Beach or the Coca Cola Beach as it is usually called. We got there about 9:00 and everything was just getting started, there were tons of people, food, drinks, and live music. There were 6 different stages set up along the street that paralleled the beach, tons of fun listening and dancing, many people were quite intoxicated and that was amusing to see. At about 11:30 the bands took a break, we went swimming, and then the music started up again till 2:30, after that more swimming and a cold walk/taxi ride to get back to the house at 5:30, people were already getting up there so I didn’t really get to sleep that night…oh well. Saturday we all went to a beach in Omoa, there were actually waves there so the whole family got in the water although nobody can really swim…Honduras as a whole is a lifeguard’s nightmare. We hung out there for a couple of hours, me getting burned, everyone else turning black. Saturday night meant more live music and dancing, this time in the city and only till 2. Sunday we all went to another beach, here we went on a banana (big yellow tube pulled by a boat) this was hilarious because it was very tame compared to anything in the states, but everyone there loved it, I pushed my host dad off. Sunday night I went with my cousin and host sister to the fair, during the walk there there was a terrible rainstorm so we didn’t spend too much time there, the rides were super sketchy but fun anyway. Then Monday morning it was back to San Marcos. It was a crazy 3 weeks, lots of travel, lots of family, and lots and lots of fun.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario